Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:25:00 +0200
From:      Reidar Bratsberg <reidar@ravn.no>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where are your logs? Methods of logging?

Logging to a secure machine with syslog (or other) is
as crucial as tripwire, IMHO.

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard that some cut (!) the
"send"-wires on the TP-cable to the secure machine -- making it
impossible to reach it via the network. The syslog entries
get through though.

Other options: Let syslog log to a serial port, and set up an
old machine with MS-DOS (or whatever) to receive them.

At 13:14 31.07.98 +0100, Þórður Ívarsson wrote:
>Now I log everything from every system to that computer, backup the logs
>every day, and trace them.
(...)
>Is this something that might help us to trace the problems or is this
>just extra trouble?

I think it is absolutely worth the trouble. We don't take backup of
the log-machine though. I guess we should...
We've considered setting up an old matrix printer as well, but I'm not
sure it's worth the trouble (or paper!).

Best,
Reidar

--
Reidar Bratsberg
Ravn Informasjonssystemer Ans, Oslo, Norway