Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:03:57 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Dominic Mitchell <hdm@mistral.co.uk>
Cc:        Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.11.0

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:57:35 +0100  Dominic Mitchell wrote:
 +------------------
 | On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 08:38:56AM -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:
 | > I find
 | > the whole mailwrapper thing bizarre in the extreem.  It is similar
 | > to the whole /usr/local/etc/rc.d scheme where we are adding a
 | > layer of indirection when there is no need for one.
 |
 | On the contrary - I find it a complete godsend.  It makes replacing the
 | standard sendmail with a port/package and absolute breeze.  It's far
 | nicer than having each port hack around in /usr/sbin for no good reason.
 |
 | -Dom
 +------------------

My point is that there is a perfectly good mechinism in existance to allow
switching between MTA.  The rc.conf mechinism works well and is consistant
for all other components of the system.  In this one case we add a layer of
indirection below rc.conf.
Why not simply use something like

    mta_enable="YES"
    mta=/usr/sbin/sendmail
or
    mta_ena
    mta=/usr/sbin/qmail

and the appropriate frag in /etc/rc to work with this
I find the whole mailwrapper thing bizarre in the extreem ;-)

chris
--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134