Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:58:48 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> [taken of -arch]
>
> Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > Personally, I would have included backward compatibiltiy shims in libc
> > for the signal stuff for a while, but that appears to have been hard
> > to do...
>
> The problem I have with such a workaround (in general) is that it is
> difficult (in general) to know when you can remove the shims.

	The simple solution for that problem was already suggested by someone
else, but may have been lost in the noise. You require a define to
incorporate the shims. Make the define a stock part of the "make
upgrade," or whatever we want to call it from 2.2.x/3.x to 4.x, and put
it in UPDATING so that -current -> later -current upgraders can also use
it. While they're there they're harmless, and/or necessary, and once
your system is all upgraded they go away on the next kernel rebuild.

	With proper comments in the code as to what they are there for, and a
recommended time of nuking (say, one year after 4.0-Release) all of the
admittedly possible scenarios you mention vanish. I've done exactly this
on some other projects I've worked on and never had a problem with it.

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."

    - Mel Gibson as Porter, "Payback"