Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:51:26 +0200
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RUSH: -current install testers wanted!

Last week I replace a broken mainboard with a dual-Athlon one (Tyan
Tiger s2466n-4m) and decided to upgrade that box from 4-stable to
-current by installing the 0917-jpsnap via the floppies and passive
ftp. I hit several sysinstall-problems some of which my already be
fixed:

- The hd I install -current onto previously had 4-stable on it, I
  deleted slice one (was the only one) and created a new one and
  selected the standard MBR. I decided to give UFS2 a try and created
  the filesystems with '-O 2 -U' (there was some problem toggling
  Softupdates und just adding '-O 2' to the newfs-options). But after
  rebooting the 4-stable (!) bootloader came claiming it wasn't able
  to load /kernel, a `ls` at the bootloader-prompt showed the contents
  of the former root-fs, even the former contents of some of the sub-
  direcroties , e.g. /etc could be displayed.
- After a `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=16` (booted with another
  hd containing 4-stable) I repeated the above procedure and ended up
  with the -current bootloader yelling "No UFS" several times. For now
  I ended up having the root-fs UFS1 and var, usr and tmp UFS2.
  This problem seems to be on the todo-list.
- During the 6-7 sysinstall-runs (it hung and crashed unreproduceable
  4-5 times) I always had the problem that after configuring the nic
  with a ipv4-adress it took some random time between ~15 seconds up
  to several minutes to look up the hostname of the jpsnap-server.
  This definitely wasn't a network- or dns-problem, another box
  connected via the same line and using the same nameserver didn't
  have problems looking up the hostname. I ran tcpdump on the other
  box and the reason for this seems to be sysinstall doing ipv6
  neigbhourhood-detection and ping6 the ipv6-address of the jpsnap-
  server also the interface wasn't configured for ipv6. I also saw
  some stuff that I don't know of what it is:
  fe80::2e0:81ff:fe22:d7cf > ff02::2:f8c7:7880: HBH icmp6: multicast listener report max resp delay: 0 addr: ff02::2:f8c7:7880 [hlim 1]
- The 3 or 4 times I got to the point to set the root password the
  prompt to enter it popped up in ttyv1 and not in tty0 like the
  rest of sysinstall. I wasn't actually able to set one but sysinstall
  returned to the "post-install-configuration"-menue when hitting
  ctrl-c in ttyv0.

Some problems I have with the installed -current:
- The bios of the board offers ACPI-support and as I thought FreeBSD's
  support of this is advanced enough I decided to turn it but it turned
  out to not be SMP-"safe". I can't remeber a panic while running an
  UP-kernel for the short time to update to latest -current and build
  a SMP-kernel. When both ACPI- (via kld) and SMP-support are enabled
  the box is fscking unstable, I get about 3 lock-order-reversal- and
  locking-against-myself-panics per hour and occasionally spontaneous
  reboots. After turing of ACPI-support in the bios the ACPI-kld no
  longer gets loaded and the box runs stable for 3 days (no more
  panics or spontaneous reboots), still with the same kernel built
  of sources as of Oct 17.
  The mainboard has 2 pci-bridges, they and all devices behind them
  successfully get probed when running with ACPI enabled so this
  doesn't sound like the problem described in the todo-list.
  acpiconf doesn't work except for `acpiconf -s 1` (after an
  `acpiconf -e`), `acpiconf -s 1` turns off the output of the gfx-
  card for the fraction of second (once also the hd sounded as it
  would spin-down) and as soon it returns 2 resume-messages get
  displayed. Doing this causes a panic (pagefaults iirc) in about
  1 of 5 times.
- After the tons of panics I got the background fsck always cleaned
  up an alarming number of files and directories on the UFS2-
  filesystems, much more than I've ever seen after a panic of a
  4-stable box. As I got most panics while extracting tarballs or
  building ports this could be ok but once also file I successfully
  downloaded some 30-60 seconds before a panic got deleted during
  the fsck-run, imho this shouldn't happen.

Last but not least it would be fine if sysinstall would also support
ATAPI-floppies (/dev/afd0) for mounting the fixit-floppy. I didn't
check recently but I think support for mounting the live-cdrom in
SCSI-cdroms is also broken, last time I tried it also wasn't
possible to install from a SCSI-cdrom as sysinstall didn't detect
/dev/cd0c. Hrm, the minor looks wrong in devices.c, could this be the
reason ?
static struct _devname {
    DeviceType type;
    char *name;
    char *description;
    int major, minor, delta, max;
} device_names[] = {
    { DEVICE_TYPE_CDROM,        "cd%dc",        "SCSI CDROM drive",     15, 2, 8, 4
but:
ls -la /dev/cd0c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   15,   0 Oct 22 19:02 /dev/cd0c

At least the minor matches for acd0c.