Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:47:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stray IRQ 7 messages

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Hugh Blandford wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've received some messages from my 2.2.2 system that there have been some
> stray IRQ7s generated.  I have disabled the parallel port in the BIOS and
> do not have the lpr daemon running.  There must be some software that is
> generating this IRQ and I would appreciate any suggestions for tracking
> this down.

IRQ 7 is the system ``junk IRQ.'' Never put anything IRQ-sensitive there.
 I have a ASUS motherboard that generates them when the serial port is
closed; I just ignore them, and the kernel will too eventually.

So, to answer the question, it's normal on some systems, and apparently
yours is one of them.

It caused me grief with a QuickCam attached, which would cause the system
to panic when I closed my X session.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo