Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:23:40 -0800
From:      richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working remotely.

Lewiz notes:

"> I would recommend creating a login which we will call your 'off-campus',
> 'roving', or 'disconnected' login. This login has a UID and GID of N, and a
> home directory of, say, /local/home/roving.

"To begin with when I read this I thought you must have been smoking
something.  I was wondering how on earth I would bridge the gap between
two different UID/GIDs, until I figured out what you meant by ``N''.
This is a truly superb idea, that I would not have thought of.  UNIX is
truly about simplicity :)  I shall get this implemented right away.  My
only consideration here is which goes first in the passwd file -- the
roving user or the NIS/YP hash thingy?  I'll play around with this and
figure it out."

I was actually less than clear about this, in my reply; rereading it, I saw that I
had neglected to bridge the gap between the two UIDs, and hoped you would read
between the lines and infer the answer from the clues I had provided. You did a
great job. Sometimes I think this is the best way to teach; to lead someone close
enough so that they can get that 'Aha!' rush, directly for themselves.  (-;

Either of the users can go first; they must have different login names (the key
used to look up the corresponding userid) and can reference different home
directories, but either login should be able to read and write to the local (and
remote) account, as a consequence of their sharing userids and group ids.

Alternatively, another way to approach it might be to create a pseudo-entry, as
described previously, where your NIS data is encapsulated as a line in the local
/etc/passwd file(s), and then put the two userids into a common, locally defined
group; that plus appropriate group read-write-execute-search permissions would
also allow them, again, to seamlessly share data.

When using YP back in 1986, one of my problems was engineers getting tired of YP
server timeouts and map failures, using their root passwords to create local
entries, and then getting frustrated when they changed their YP passwords, a few
weeks later, and were unable to login as a result of local entries having
precedence over remote entries. What was a hassle, then, can be, under certain
circumstances, a valuable feature.

(And a shout out to ~timzim and his gang of elves, at NET, in 1986. :-)

-- richard