Date:      Sat, 21 May 2005 15:06:32 +0100
From:      ".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow@interfree.it>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: radeon

---- Original Message ----
From: "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: ".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow@interfree.it>
Sent: Saturday, 21 May, 2005 03:51

> On Friday 20 May 2005 07:11 pm, .VWV. wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I was trying to move to RADEON-based cards, but I have no idea how to
>> make them work with X servers. I have a mixed-up 4.7 and 4.11 system,
>> with the kernel of the new one, and the X server of the old one. I
>> have both the collection of ports available.
>
> When you are having problems, I find that you need to get consistant.
> Your comment about kernel is scary because on FreeBSD you don't have a
> different kernel and user land. You have 4.11 or 4-stable but not a
> combo of both. No one will have a similar system to see what you can
> do to fix a problem until you have a consistant system with what other
> people are also running.
>
> If you are running a 4.11 system, you need to upgrade all of your
> ports to 4.11. There is on the order of a year between the release of
> 4.7 and 4.11.

I have forgotten to write, I have made a full upgrade to 4.11 of the
base system by means of sysinstall. The most part of the applications
installed come from 4.7, but the system is a 4.11. Depending on the
needs, I compile from both the ports collections, sometimes modifying
them. I have never found problems, except with well-known broken apps.
I'm often exhausted, therefore I forget what I am using, but the cause
is definitely other than FreeBSD. I cannot stay without it, expecially
for storage purposes.

>> I'm testing the Radeon chipsets from 9250 to 9800.
>
> The XFree86 Organization will have documentation on what cards it
> supports. You will have to track them down and see what cards are
> supported. The newer ones may only be fully supported on Xorg. That
> doesn't work very well on 4.x and you should consider updating to
> FreeBSD 5.4. There is an iso that you can download and burn on to CD-R
> material.

Thank you for having suggested me Xorg. It should work, even if it seems
9250 has to be excluded from any kind of machine.

Thanks once more

VITTORI