Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:14:05 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is it possible to store process state and then restore process

Hello FreeBSD developers,

I have one principal question.

Suppose there is a process, let this process doesn't have any
childs, open sockets, it has one thread, etc. But this process
can malloc() memory, open local files. Let's take very simple case.

Is it possible to store process state to the file (i.e. say
somehow the kernel to do this), and then after rebooting restore
from the file this process back to system and continue executing it?

I understand that it is not very simple, but I want to know if it is
possible. Are there any problem with memory addressetion?

Some years ago I implemented the same thing under MS-DOS, so
in general I understand the way what it should look like, and I
successfuly stored process state and restored this process in MS-DOS
to continue very long calculations on slow PC (this wasn't my software,
so I could't patch it to store results in temporary file). Of course it is
impossible to compare how I did it for MS-DOS and how it can be
done on FreeBSD.