Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 11:26:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change in the Qt port.

On 08-Nov-99 Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> Ok, but what does that have to do with moving the include files from
> one segregated subdirectory to another?

It means that Qt 1.4x and 2.x's QTDIRs would need to be separate. I.e., they
can't both be placed in ${X11BASE}/lib/qt (as per Pedro's suggestion), unless
you really want to complicate things (in terms of hier(7)). I just think it's
better organization to keep them separate, but it is possible to put both of
their libraries and includes (in seperate directories) under ${X11BASE}/lib/qt.
However, take note that programs' configure scripts normally look for Qt
libraries in $(QTDIR)/lib, moc in $(QTDIR)/bin, and so forth.

> What the jell are you talking about?  You mean this one?
>
>> man 7 hier
>  :
>               X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc (op-
>                         tional).
>  :

Yes, and its subdirectory assignments. lib/ is described as the designation for
libraries only.. see other email about QTDIR stuff.

>  * I think the BIGGEST problem with Qt / KDE is the way KDE has its stuff
>  * installed into ${LOCALBASE} instead of ${X11BASE}, like Qt does. Many
> ports
>  * depend on both Qt and KDE libraries/includes, making it extremely
> difficult for
>  * a port to know where to install things.
>
> Hmm.

You do realize that almost everything based on Qt seems to be based on KDE too,
right? :-)

> I believe the reason why it was put into ${LOCALBASE} was because the
> default Makefiles that come with KDE want to install into
> ${LOCALBASE}/kde which Stefan (KDE maintainer) changed to
> ${LOCALBASE}.  Is that the only reason why it's in ${LOCALBASE} and
> not ${X11BASE}, Stefan?

I myself would have checked the mailing list archives for an answer to this,
but I believe an up-to-date explanation is in order (or an update to the KDE
ports :-). This is why I suggested this.

Such KDE/Qt-based programs also seem to look for KDE stuff in ${X11BASE}, so we
would only need to be changing patches to the KDE ports, if any (rather than
patching every godforsaken KDE-based program to make them look in ${LOCALBASE}).

By the way, what the hell does "jell" mean? I need to get my dictionary. :-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>