Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 11:37:50 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xntpd - VERY old folks, how about updating? :-)

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 09:33:31AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <19991231225535.A8004@Denninger.Net>,
> Karl Denninger  <karl@Denninger.Net> wrote:
> >
> > What does (someone) need to do to get this changed out/updated?  I can't
> > send it in as a port, since its part of the base package (setting
> > it up as a port would be pretty trivial from what I can see)
>
> There already _is_ a port of it (net/ntp).  And there are hooks in
> /etc/rc.conf ("xntpd_program") to use the ports version instead of the
> one in the base system.
>
> John

Thanks; I just updated /usr/src and saw the changes.

This has been broken for a *long* time - at least since the 4.0 branch
began.  Its definitely a kernel interface problem with the older code;
while the adjtime call is being made its not happening and eventually
the code executes a "step" instead (which is a bad news; those should
basically never happen once xntpd settles down in a day or three after
a cold start)

It looks like ntpd (the new one) works correctly; I grabbed the latest
from the official site last night and by this morning the dispersion
and offsets were stable.

Ntpd is the "official" code line now - the "x" line is considered deprecated
by the official maintainers, so if you're going to support the ntpd line in
the base system the other(s) should probably be removed entirely.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!