Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:52:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How much memory for web server?

Hello,

I am currently running a web/ftp server on the
following hardware:
1.7 ghz AthlonXP
512mb DDR memory
GA-7vtxe motherboard
...using a cable connection

I use X-windows frequently and am wondering how much
it affects the web/ftp serving performance. From
reading past posts, it sounds like this is not really
the best combination. I have another box laying around
that is a P-166 w/ 48 mb of memory. I am thinking
about setting this up with FreeBSD 4.5 as a firewal
and print server (only serving 2 other computers),
would this efficiently work as a web/ftp server box
also, or is it too slow? What kind of hardware is
required for serving a personal website...with really
not a lot of traffic? Any advice is appreciated...

Thomas Kersten