Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:04:56 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
Cc:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble making a filesystem

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 13:58, Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net> wrote:
> I'm having trouble making a working filesystem for my OCTEON1 kernel to r=
un on. I do a "buildworld", but there are three problems:

> 1) Most of the executables won't execute, they give "Exec format error". =
The problem seems to be with dynamically linked executables. When I rebuilt=
 "/bin/sh" as a static executable, it worked OK. I guess I could manually f=
ix every Makefile to use static linking, but that seems absurd.

It would probably be helpful to include your build scripts and the
output of 'file' on one of the troublesome binaries.

> 2) Some things aren't being populated. For example, that the only thing i=
n the buildworld output of etc is sendmail. In the installworld output ther=
e are a handful of subdirectorties, but no "rc" files.

You need 'make distribute DESTDIR=3D/whatever'.  Or is it make
distribution?  Something.  Then you'll just need to set up fstab and
rc.conf

> 3) Eventually, the kernel tips over with:
>
> =A0 panic: sched_priority: invalid priority 231: nice 0, ticks 1955000 ft=
ick 14022821 ltick 14023821 tick pri 59

I've never seen this.  Sounds like a problem with signed vs. unsigned
chars for priorities.  Most of those should be fixed these days,
though.