Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jeff@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scheduler framework.

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> I have mostly finished writing a new scheduler for FreeBSD.  In the
> process I have modularized the scheduling decicions and broken the
> scheduler up into an API.  It has been done in such a way that the
> scheduler could be chosen at compile time.

More work needs to be done to modularise the scheduler.
KSE is making this more difficult but is also making it more necessary.
People can no-longer read it usn "understand it" in order to
tweek it for expereimentation..
it needs to eb mor emodular so that people
can just throw it away and replace it..
(e.g. what Luigi is up to).

BTW sorry, I just checked in a bunch of KSE changes that may
collide a bit with your patch.. probably you'll have some merging to do.

> My diff is available at http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/sched.patch.
> It is a mostly complete reimplementation of the old scheduler on this new
> api.  The old scheduler has some empty stubs that my new scheduler uses.
> My new scheduler is not included in this diff.

yeah I noticed.. where is it? how does it cope with threads vs
Processes?

> This diff isn't intended to be complete.  I'm looking for a design review
> not a code review.  At present it does not even boot.  I will be fixing it
> shortly.  I'd like to get an idea of whether or not it's too late in 5.0
> to get this in.  If it is, I won't pursue it any further, and I'll save my
> new scheduler for another day.  If not, I'd like to get my new scheduler
> in as an option for 5.0.

Can we have a 'rough outline" here on -arch of your ideas?

(BTW where are you?)