Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:06:30 -0500
From:      mcaughey@infi.net (Michael Caughey)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   routing or not routing?

Is there any one who has a bit of spare time on their hands that can come to
my rescue?

I'm know to the Ether net set up of my server.  What I have is FreeBSD on a
486, a 3 com 3c509b ethernet card and a 28.8 modem for the ppp link.

    First the PPP works great.  In the /etc/ppp/options file I have set the
local IP address to the of my host machine ?.?.?.1 and the remote to that of
the gateway at my service provider.

    My Ethernet card device is ep0 and is reconized fine by the kernel.  My
goal is to be able to ping a machine on the network that is also running
TCP/IP.  I've tried to set up the card using ifconfig.  I used the line:

ifconfig ep0 inet ?.?.?.1 up netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast ?.?.?.255

    Is there any other kind of routing that needs to be done?  Like a
command using route?

    I feel like like I'm in a foriegn country and can barely speak the
language.  HELP!

    If any one is interested in help and needs moreinfo let me know and I'll
send it to you.  mean while I'm going to keep trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance!
| Michael Caughey.                         |
| mcaughey@infi.net                        |
| running FreeBSD 2.0!                     |