Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:33:46 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Everything randomly generates .core files

Hello,

I'm having some difficulties with 5.3-RELEASE.  I have made a fresh
install from the iso image I downloaded.  Formatted the entire drive,
just to make sure it was clean.  I have installed everything of interest
via the ports tree.  But many things seem to fail randomly.  I can use
xfe for a while, then blip its gone.  pptpclient is the same.  Fluxbox
generates .core files as well... but its never shutdown on me.  xprop
has generated a few too.  Doesn't seem to be any one app.

I'm new to FreeBSD (and *nix in general)... so I have no idea where to
begin investigating.

I was previously using 5.3-BETA7 and did not have these problems.  The
only thing I did different this time was to make things from the ports
tree instead of pkg_add everything.

Is there any info I could/should provide to help the list help me out?

(Sorry if this message is not wrapped at 72 char... thunderbird is
wrapping it in the gui... but not in the message!?!?)

Thanks
--
Regards,
Eric