Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:01:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        "Manish Jain" <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any idea why freebsd.org is using PayPal for donations ?

On Wed, July 13, 2016 12:20 pm, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> No. You get the $1 back.  They don't complete or confirm or close it.  It
> is just an authorization.  They do it to make sure the card data is valid,
> for better or worse.
>
> I don't like PP either, I agree with you there.  But the $1 authorization
> will fall off your card eventually when the authorization expires.

It it were credit card, it would be listed as "pending" transaction, and
will eventually disappear as Chad says. Pretty much the same gasoline
dispensers do in US: before starting pump for you they do this $1
(unfinished) transaction from your credit card, and if you don't pour gas,
you will see this pending $1 transaction for some time, then it disappears
never actually hitting your account.

Valeri