Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:55:15 -0400
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        <david@sparks.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2/300 problem

Well yknow, I did have that happen, but it was on one of those Packard Bell
Multimedia P100's.. wouldn't compile a damned thing, also wouldnt for Linux
either (although Linux faired slightly better).

Needless to say, I burned the board (I.e. tossed it) and moved on... I
would hope your 'new' system does not need to be tossed though :-)

That's just my 2 cents worth.. My guess was the combination of things.
CMD640 chipset, crap bios, bad board.. etc.  I will say on a lighter note
that Supermicro gets my vote, they're right up there with Shuttle
Spacewalkers.

At 01:58 PM 9/22/98 -0400, david@sparks.net wrote:
>I just brought up a new system with a FIC 503+ motherboard and an AMD
>K6-2/300 processor in it.
>
>It seems to run pretty well except that the freebsd version of
>communicator went out to lunch last night (unattended), and today died
>with:
>
>fatal process exception: page fault, fault VA = 0xa004bb14
>

>The other thing which happens is that compiles seem to randomly crash.
>Compiling GoodStuff, for example:
>
>cc -fpic -DPIC -O -I. -I./../generic -I../bitmaps -I/usr/X11R6/include
>-I/usr/local/include/tcl8.0/generic  -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_LIMITS_H=1
>-DSTDC_HEADERS=1  -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H=1 -DTIME_WITH_SYS_TIME=1
>-DTK_LIBRARY=\"/usr/local/lib/tk80\" -c ../generic/tkTextTag.c -o
>../generic/tkTextTag.so
>fatal process exception: general protection fault, fault VA = 0x12e000
>cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>

>Anyone else seeing this?  It compiles OK on a K6-200 I have at home:)
>
>Thanks,
>
>--- David

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us