Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:23:42 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Andre Goree <andre@drenet.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Build of "telepathy-glib" fails

Andre Goree <andre@drenet.net> writes:

> FWIW, I've also seen this.  Like someone else mentioned, I think it
> has to do with the vala install, which I haven't been able to update
> either because according to /usr/ports/UPDATING I need to install
> gnome3 to update it, which I find to be ludicrous.

You are misunderstanding the instructions.

If you aren't using Gnome, it's quite possible that nothing on your
system depends on vala, so the "users of vala" description wouldn't
apply to you. Assuming that it is in fact a leaf node, updating (or
removing) it is fine and doesn't even require any special instructions.

telepathy-glib has a runtime dependency on vala, but you'll probably
still be fine doing a normal upgrade of both.