Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:57:42 -0500
From:      Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
To:        weiwuzhang@263.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: config mail client

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 03:50:00AM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> But how to config my BSD system so
> that when I send a mail using 'mail' it knows which smtp server to use and
> which pop3 server to check  for incoming mails? If it takes steps to do it
---end quoted text---

The 'mail' command will use the local MTA (Mail Transfert Agent) to send
your mail. In this case, the default is Sendmail.

To get sendmail to send its mail to your ISP's SMTP server, edit
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf, and find this line :

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

Modify the second line to read :
DSyourISPmailserver.somedomain.com

Restart sendmail with the command 'kill -HUP PID' where PID is the
process ID of sendmail. You can find that out with the command
'ps caux | grep sendmail'.

Sendmail will not fetch your POP3 mail. That's not its job. You'll need
'procmail' for that. It's in the ports tree.

You can mail me if you need more info on ports tree, or configuring
procmail.

--
Joel Dinel
System Administrator