Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 14:53:55 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hsu@clinet.fi, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

Heikki Suonsivu stands accused of saying:

> Michael Smith writes:
>  > You type <escape> and select it from the menu.  This is the first thing
>  > listed in the help region at the top of the screen.
>
> Really, take a random computer user and try it on him (the less (s)he has
> used computers the better).  It is worth taking the best available
> solution, particularly when a utility which will be used very often is
> selected.

Hmm, think again.

Take a random computer user with enough experience to be realistically
sitting in front of a Unix system.

Point them at 'ee' or 'vi' at random, and guage their responses.

Given that I've been doing just that for some time now, I'll tell you
which works out better 8)

>  > pico is not small.  There are plenty of small editors out there; 'ee'
>  > just got lucky.
>
> Reality check, please:
>
> hsu@cantina.clinet.fi Fri 12: size /usr/bin/ee
> text    data    bss     dec     hex
> 57344   4096    0       61440   f000
> hsu@cantina.clinet.fi Fri 13: which pico
> /usr/local/bin/pico
> hsu@cantina.clinet.fi Fri 14: size /usr/local/bin/pico
> text    data    bss     dec     hex
> 8192    4096    0       12288   3000
> hsu@cantina.clinet.fi Fri 15: ls -l /usr/bin/ee /usr/local/bin/pico
> -r-xr-xr-x   2 bin      bin         61440 May 16 10:15 /usr/bin/ee
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 bin      bin         12288 Apr  4 13:21 /usr/local/bin/pico
>
> Pico is significantly smaller!

Dunno where you got that pico from; I'm not stupid enough to not have
checked myself :

cain:~>size `which pico`
text    data    bss     dec     hex
102400  8192    0       110592  1b000
cain:~>file `which pico`
/usr/local/bin/pico: FreeBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked executable