Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:04:42 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel documentation

At 8:13 AM +0200 6/11/01, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

>  I understand that "the design and implementation of the BSD4.4 kernel" is
>  a good start (ISBN: 0-201-54979-4, Addison-Wesley Publishing) but would
>  like to know if there is any other thing I can read...
>
>  I'd also like to know if someone perhaps has this book digitized so I can
>  copy it. I'm on a bit of a budget to be honest...

	I understand you may be on a bit of a budget, but what you're
suggesting here is basically completely ripping off the book, and is
blatant copyright violation.

	I would not be surprised to find that one or more of the authors
of the book might be subscribed to this mailing list, and would
probably be rather offended at your suggestion.  I know that I'm
working on just two chapters in an upcoming book, and I would be
offended if someone suggested that they rip off that book.

	Unfortunately, while some publishers have started making their
material available in digital form (e.g., the O'Reilly "CD Bookshelf"
series, or the O'Reilly "Safari" online series), this is most
certainly not true of most publishers.

	Anyway, there's really no substitute for doing.  Read the various
HOWTOs, the FAQs, the man pages, all the other documentation you can
get your hands on, and then get your hands dirty by starting to muck
around with the code on some machine you can find where you are able
to do some experimentation.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */