Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:48:10 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On Jun 6, 2012 3:38 AM, "Erich" <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05 June 2012 7:13:47 Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 03:23:01PM +0700, Erich wrote:
> > > But is this true for apache only or for the whole ports tree?
> >
> > Entire tree.
>
> my problem with this is that the documentation states something very
different:

> From the handbook at the location where beginners will look for it:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> 'Which version(s) of them do you want?
>
> With CVSup, you can receive virtually any version of the sources that
ever existed. That is possible because the cvsupd server works directly
from the CVS repository, which contains all of the versions. You specify
which one of them you want using the tag= and date= value fields.

> Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some tags
are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an
incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably do
not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-*
collections.'

> I think that this states very clearly that there are no tags.

No it doesn't. It states clearly that you shouldn't use tags unless you
know what you are doing, as several of us have explained more than once.

Chris