Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 18:07:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dswartz@druber.com (Dan Swartzendruber)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

Dan Swartzendruber said:
> At 04:35 PM 4/5/98 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> >Dan Swartzendruber said:
> >>
> >> My only quibble with this technique is that it would seem to make it
> >> harder to tell if your machine is really running low on swap or not
> >> (e.g. swap as backing store for stack/heap/whatever *is* critical and
> >> allocation failure can cause application failure, whereas swap being
> >> used to cache random cruft is in the "who really cares" department).
> >> Or is there some way to tell the difference?
> >>
> >It is difficult not only to tell if you are low on swap, but also it
> >is hard to quantify being low on memory.  I have been thinking about
> >this over the last year or so.
>
> It was actually kind of embarrassing.  I convinced a local ISP to start
> converting their servers from Linux (what I recommended a few years ago
> when I didn't know different :))  One of the admins (who has some Linux
> experience) asked me why it was using swap.  I gave the canonical reply.
> He asked the question I just posed.  I had no good reply :(

The actual reply is the required size of swap is the sum of the size
of all process private memory.  I don't account for that anywhere, but
might just put together a solution.

On my workstation, I run with 1.2GB of available swap space, and anybody
can afford that, can't they?  (BTW, I seldom use more than 30-40MB, but
with the price of disk, who cares?)

The needed amount of physical memory is best judged by paging activity,
but again, the system doesn't tell you directly.