Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:22:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Andrew Stevens <andrew@log.on.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /sbin/init: error 20

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Andrew Stevens wrote:

> -- [ From: Andrew Stevens * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> Greetings:
>
>    Over the past couple of days, my FreeBSD box has been giving me strange
> error messages, and now my machine won't boot.  Below is a summary of what
> has been happening:
>
>    Two nights ago, I mounted my DOS hard drive and a DOS zip disk for the
> first time.  I then attempted to use find on my system to find a file.
> While find was working and my BSD disk was grinding away, error messages
> began appearing.  I didn't think much of them at the time and didn't bother
> to write them down, but I believe files on my BSD drive were listed, and
> beside them, "bad file descriptor".

Did you get the message

Warning:  root filesystem is not a multiple of clusersize in length

when you mounted the DOS disk?

>    The next time I tried to boot, device probing went smoothly, but after
> "changing device to sd0a" was displayed, the following lines appeared:
>
> exec /sbin/init: error 20
> exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
>
>    And my computer froze at this point.  I tried disabling everything which
> conflicts with ep0, but it didn't help matters. (using de0 as my ethernet
> port).  Any suggestions?

That is a Bad Thing.  Your DOS hard drive must have had a busted FS on it
and the msdosfs code went berzerk and overwrote your FreeBSD root
filesystem. You'll need to reinstall FreeBSD.