Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:54:14 +0200
From:      William Fletcher <ultraviolet@epweb.co.za>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cryptographically enabled ports tree.

--/Uq4LBwYP4y1W6pO

> At 18:38 21/06/2003 +0200, William Fletcher wrote:
> >What I'm wondering about, is when FreeBSD is going to get
> >get a cryptographically signed ports tree system setup.
> >
> >It isn't a must, I was just wondering other peoples opinions about this.
>=20
>   I've been thinking about this for a while; unfortunately I have neither=
=20
> the time to implement this right now, nor enough familiarity with CVS to=
=20
> make it work automagically.
>   If nothing happens before September, I'll probably corner some people a=
t=20
> BSDCon to talk about this.
>=20
> Colin Percival
One other thing while I'm at making a clown of myself.

Wouldn't it be an absolute joke if someone rooted a redhat box on
your network, dns poisoned for cvsup.*.freebsd.org and promptly=20
found a way to create a cvsup-mirror on another machine
with modified source.=20

They could then trojan /usr/src and /usr/ports and probably gain
root on all your machines running FreeBSD, quick and easy.=20

Just wanted the general publics opinion of that too.

Anyway, home time, expect interesting responses on monday morning.
(Will sign up to security-general again).

PS. Some people work for companies which inflict redhat on them. :/ =20

--=20
William Fletcher (ultraviolet)		      Powered by http://www.FreeBSD.org/
IT Administrator, EPWeb networks.	        =20
http://www.epweb.co.za/				    =20
Tel: +27 (041) 395 6800					        =20
Fax: +27 (041) 395 6818=09
Support: support@epweb.co.za