Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:50:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> softupdates already "kinda" doesn this..
> it queues data writes at one point in the future and directory writes
> at a different point in the future. I believe that data writes must be
> completed before inode writes which must be completed before directory
> writes. If they are not the the dependencies will FORCE that ordering.
>
> The reason to preschedule the different actions is to make it all happen
> in the right order anyhow, so that the dependency tracking is a big NOP.

I think softupdates will be less affected by this but there can still be
problems with latency.  The time for a simple directory read (not a
softupdate controlled operation) can be delayed significantly since it
gets queued behind all the rest of the async i/o.  In Matt's test, I saw
about 5Mb queued at one point which translates to a latency of over
0.5sec, assuming the drive throughput is about 8Mb/sec.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com