Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:06:04 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        "Janko van Roosmalen" <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

The evidence suggests that "Janko van Roosmalen" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Jason Halbert wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > As I just tried to send the above message, the reason why I need
my
> > own SMTP server is appearent.  My isp's SMTP server refused to
relay
> > the e-mail because of the sender's e-mail address... mine
> > (jason@jason-n3xt.org).
> >
> > I am sorry that this thread has become so long, but there has to
be a
> > way to do what I need to do.  =)  I just need help finding it.
> >
> > Thanks as always...
> >
> > ---
> > Jason
> > jason@jason-n3xt.org
>
> Your ISP probably refused to relay because of a failed reverse DNS
> lookup on your domain.
>
> It first asks what is the IP address of "jason-n3xt.org". The answer
is
> "4.33.96.206".
> Then it asks who is "4.33.96.206". Answer:
> "crtntx1-ar3-096-206.ds1.gtei.net". As these do not match they do
not
> accept mail from you.
>
> Output of "host jason-n3xt.org" :
>
> jason-n3xt.org has address 4.33.96.206
> jason-n3xt.org mail is handled (pri=1) by jason-n3xt.org
>
> Output of "nslookup 4.33.96.206" :
>
> Server:  parmenides.utp.net
> Address:  0.0.0.0
>
> Name:    crtntx1-ar3-096-206.dsl.gtei.net
> Address:  4.33.96.206
>

> ===Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands===

Umm.. I already know all this.  I'm the one that set it up.  So what
you're trying to say is that my isp's mail server rejected the e-mail
becuase my ip resolved to my isp's hostname?

That doesn't make sense.  My isp (Verizon Online) won't do r-dns
hosting which is why I need my own SMTP server to work.

It's the easiest way to avoid ALL problems such as this.

---
Jason
jason@jason-n3xt.org