Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:43:58 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device.hints help

On Thursday 31 March 2005 21:03, Alejandro Pulver wrote:
> I have two sound cards:
>
> SiS 7012 (C-Media Electronics CMI9739 AC97 Codec) - 'snd_ich'
> Genius Sound Maker Value 5.1 (CMedia CMI8738) =A0 =A0 - 'snd_cmi'
>
> The first is integrated in the motherboard, and it is detected first and
> used as the default output device (pcm0). The second it detected after
> the first, so it is used as the second output device (pcm1).
>
> I want to use my second sound card as the default output device. I tried
> using the loader.conf variables "*_after" and "*_before", but they
> always load them before booting the kernel, so the integrated card is
> detected first and assigned to the default output device (pcm0). So I
> have the drivers as modules, and load the driver for the second card
> when booting the kernel, and then from the command line I load the
> driver for the integrated card.
>
> Is it possible to put the sound card PCI addresses manually in
> 'device.hints'? How?
>
> Here is the relevant output of 'pciconf -vl' (after loading the
> drivers in the desired order):
>
> pcm1@pci0:2:7: =A0class=3D0x040100 card=3D0x70121849 chip=3D0x70121039 re=
v=3D0xa0
> hdr=3D0x00 =A0 =A0vendor =A0 =3D 'Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)'
> =A0 =A0 device =A0 =3D 'SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator'
> =A0 =A0 class =A0 =A0=3D multimedia
> =A0 =A0 subclass =3D audio
>
> pcm0@pci0:9:0: =A0class=3D0x040100 card=3D0x011113f6 chip=3D0x011113f6 re=
v=3D0x10
> hdr=3D0x00 =A0 =A0vendor =A0 =3D 'C-Media Electronics Inc.'
> =A0 =A0 device =A0 =3D 'CMI8738/PCI C3DX PCI Audio Chip&#20013;&#22269;'
> =A0 =A0 class =A0 =A0=3D multimedia
> =A0 =A0 subclass =3D audio
>
> I am posting this question again because I did not get a response. If I
> should ask this question somewhere else please inform me.

I'm no expert but...

You now have the sound cards ni the order you want by loading the CMedia vi=
a=20
the kernel and the SiS manually.

Can you add the SiS one via /etc/rc.conf?

Add kldload snd_sis (or whatever the SiS sound module is called)

or by adding the relevant bits to /boot/loader.conf

eg

sound_load=3D"YES"
snd_SiS_load=3D"YES"
(or whatever the SiS sound module is called)

or if none are complied into the kernel, try either method above with the=20
module loads listed in the order you want them.

hey, it might even work :-)

=2D-=20
Dave