Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/6853: Inactive de0 leads to hang with windoze box.

>Number:         6853
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Having an inactive de0 in system leads to system hang.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	The system has two DEC ethernet (tulip) cards installed.  They
have the chip numbered 21140 and are manufactured by Kingston.  The part
# is KNE100.  My system can be made available for testing.

	de0 is normally used for 100Mbit full duplex between this system
and a linux box.  It is currently disconnected.  When connected, the
problem never occured.  de1 is connected to an 8 port 10Mbit hub that
is full and contains the Windoze 95 machine.

	If de0 is removed from the machine (de1 then becomes de0), the
symptoms go away.

	System config: AMD K6-233 w/ 128M SDRAM.  2 IDE disks, CD,
and a sound card.  PCI ATI 2M video card.

	System freezes when Windoze 95 machine requests a large amount
of traffic.  Freeze occurs with both SMB and ftp traffic.  I have not
had time to verify if other conditions cause it... but a fair amount of
traffic to two xterms didn't seem to cause it.

	When frozen, no keyboard or network response occurs.  Console
screensaver (stars) is also frozen.  Reset switch must be used to
reboot the machine.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Have 2 KNE100 PCI cards in a system, with de0 unused and
de1 connected to a 10Mbit lan.  Windozed 95 box (also with KNE100)
transfers large amount of data from the FreeBSD box.  This may
require an empty lan as it appeared to be related to the rate
of traffic.

>Fix:

	I have removed the currently unused card from the system.
This appears to fix the problem