Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:15:53 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump schedule

Nathan Vidican <nathan@vidican.com> types:
> How does one determine which dump levels to use for incremental backups? I
> have been running a zero level dump nightly Monday through Friday on
> different tapes. I would like to change the setup so that the backup only
> backs up level zero every friday, and does incremental backups of only the
> changed/altered files in the interim. What I'm having difficulty
> understanding, is which level number I should be using. for example: 0 first
> Friday, then 1 following Monday, then 1 every night until Thursday, and a
> new zero level on Friday. Would this schedule be feasible? Will it function
> properly as I am expecting?

That would be a backup schedule, but there's room for improvement. You
don't provide quite enough information to figure out exactly how to do
what you want, but I'll cover some alternatives.

The rule is: a level N dump backs up all changes since the last dump
at a level lower than N. There are no dumps lower than level 0, so
level 0s back up everything.

With your proposed schedule, the level 1s that happen every night
would include everything that has changed since the full dump done the
last friday. I run things close to that, but you can make better use
of levels.

If that's what you want, I'd suggest making the daily backups near
level 6. You'll back the same things up, but if the daily dumps get to
big, you can do a special level 3 (or similar), and the dailys will
then start backing up the changes since the level 3.

If instead, you wanted the daily tapes to back up only that days
changes, you'd do level 0 (Fri), then levels 1, 2, 3, and so on.

The problems with increasing the level each day is that you then have
to restore some unknown set of tapes - possibly five - and it's
fragile. If some tape is dead, you lose that days changes, and
restores of the remaining tapes won't be quite correct. Doing it the
other way means you only have to restore two dumps - the level 0, and
the daily tape. If the latest daily tape is fried, you still lose one
days work - but can get a proper restore from the previous days tape.

As a comment, I think weekly level 0s is overkill. I typically do
level 0s at an interval dictated by the environment, then do level 4s
weekly, and level 8s daily. That leaves level 9s for a quick dump
before I do something that endangers the system, and three levels for
interim dumps between the regular levels.

For boxes tracking -release, I tend to level 0s after every release is
installed. On my boxes, I do level 0s when the weeklies require
changing media. I've had clients with 0s at intervals ranging from
once a month to once a year (though the latter case did the first
weekly of the month at a lower level than the other three).

	<mike