Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 16:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems YOU can have?

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 8 May 1998, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
>
> > Sorry: no. /etc/manpat.config
>
> Now you left the h off ;-)  I see what you're referring to tho.  It should
> find that.  You aren't using the Linux man, are you ?

Huuuh? I don't think so. I made an installation without any packages...

> > > /etc/manpath.conf should exist. If it doesn't let me know and I'll send
> > > you mine.
> >
> > It exists as it ever did. I didn't change it!!!
>
> Double check, and check permissions while you're at it.

What permissions should that be?

> > > You need to be a member of group `dialer' or root.
> >
> > I was indeed running as root
>
> Are you sure?  You wouldn't have gotten that message if you were running
> as root.

Very very sure. Don't worry about that. Look, I installed my printer, I
could connect via cu or minicom, and suddenly all goes wrong. All these
problems appear suddenly. It seems to me it's more a single bug than many
things I forgot (even if I always forget sometin ;)). I think these
problems appeared after I use my installation diskette by mistake to
install some more distribution sets. Could that be the bug?

> > Seriously, this is because I can't connect to get my email in terminal
> > mode... I have achieved the incredible (aka setting up ppp) but I
> > didn't setup some e-mail capabilities with it. (BTW, is it possible to do
> > so and how?)
>
> I assume you grab your email via POP.  In which case you need to install
> popclient or fetchmail to grab the mail and drop it in your local mail
> drop, then use your favorite email client to read it.

Yes, I use POP, but I think this will only retrieve the _new_ email...
with no possibilities of saving incoming messages on the remote host...
(account on IRIX 5) Ain't there a way to interact _directly_ with the
mailing system of the remote host (except than via a terminal)?

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |