Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:45:02 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Brian Skrab <bgs@pinky.us.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tekram DC395UW SCSI adapter supported ???

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 16:47:42 -0500, Brian Skrab wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I've read through the release notes for 4.2 and have found support
> 	for the Tekram DC390U/W/F, but cannot tell if the DC395UW SCSI
> 	controller is supported.  Can anyone confirm that there is a driver
> 	to support this card?

The DC395 and 315 boards are based on Tekram's S1040 chip, not the
Symbios/LSI chips like the 390 boards.

The S1040 is only an Ultra-capable chip, so in the case of the 395UW,
you'll only get 40MB/sec performance out of it.

Also, the chip needs multiple interrupts per transaction, so it isn't as
efficient as the Symbios/LSI chips.

That said, Tekram has written a FreeBSD/CAM driver for the 395/315 boards,
and I commend them for it.  It looks like they have a driver for FreeBSD
4.0 on their ftp site here:

ftp://ftp.tekram.com/SCSI/3X5/FreeBSD/FreeBSD400

The driver hasn't been integrated into FreeBSD because no one with the
hardware, time, ability and motivation has stepped forward to do it.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org