Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 01:19:55 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sleep (was Re: Application os version compatibility?)

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Peter Wemm wrote:

> I'm not quite sure I follow you there..  I once talked about how using
> plain nanosleep() as a replacement for sleep() is incompatable with some
> things that depeneded on the SIGALRM eating semantics, and that one way
> around it was to build make a merged sigprocmask/nanosleep syscall which
> is basically "wait for specific signals or timeout, whichever comes first"
> - this is what is in the tree at present.  I also talked about using

I mean present code. If SIGALRM is already ignored, you _not_ allow it
while sleep() called i.e. not install signal handler for it. Another
sleep() implementations like our previous one or GNU one allows it. I
think this optimization gains nothing but may cause incompatibilities.

> another syscall to directly implement the sleep(3)/usleep(3) semantics,
> perhaps called nsleep(), which has the same args as nanosleep() (ie:
> requested and returned times).  What were you thinking of?

Yes, such code will be better indeed, but it is separate issue, I talk
about just bugfix to current code now.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>