Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:00:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Yvonne Lehey <yvonne@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Regulated names (was: Crazy Laws)
References:  <4.1.19981224112052.05a31740@127.0.0.1> <4.1.19981224174155.03dd8670@127.0.0.1> <368378AB.969463E2@uk.radan.com> <4.1.19981225181200.05a201b0@mail.lariat.org> <xzpg1a3mzhe.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> <19981226131644.I12346@freebie.lemis.com> <4.1.19981226104824.05822710@mail.lariat.org> <36854A89.B393D402@uk.radan.com> <19981227112355.B12346@freebie.lemis.com> <36861F86.2761847A@uk.radan.com>

On Sunday, 27 December 1998 at 11:52:38 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Whereas Americans simply _remove_ (mainly) vowls from English words :-)
>>
>> Not really.  How do you pronounce ``laboratory''.  Four syllables,
>> right?  The Americans stretch five out of it.  Dropping vowels is more
>> common elsewhere (as in French).
>
> Er Greg, note the ``:-)''. I was making a friendly jibe at the American
> spelling of words like colour.

Oh.  That's not a vowel, that's a letter.  They pronounce the second
vowel much the same way as the English do: schwa.

>>> I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think the English
>>> pronounciation of "gateau" is identical to the origianal French.
>>
>> It's difficult to know if you're talking about the same pronunciation
>> that we are.  As others observe, there's a general tendency in English
>> to place the accent on the wrong syllable.  In addition, I've often
>> heard things like ``would you like some Black Forest gæteau'' in
>> England, which is doubly funny:
>>
>> 1.  It's a tart, not a gâteau.
>> 2.  The æ sound (as in `at') is completely wrong.
>
> But what is the distinction between a French word and an English word of
> French origin?

A good question.  Depends on who you ask.

>> On the whole, even educated people here perpetuate the same mistakes
>> that the British make.  Even those who get French vowels more or less
>> right will consistently put the accent on the wrong syllable, which I
>> find a great source of amusement (my wife, Yvonne, is almost always
>> mispronounced).
>
> What is the correct pronounciation of Yvonne?

Damn, I wish I had phonetic symbols here.  The Y is a long pure I
(which some people represent `ee'), the o is a short pure o (as in
English `off'; I don't think the Americans use this sound).  The
important thing is that the accent is on the second (last) syllable.

>> But in general most languages tend to change the accents of foreign
>> borrowings, and English is a good example. Note the opposite tendency
>> in the US: people automatically place the accent on foreign words on
>> the *last* syllable, which in general is true for French only.
>>
>>> Partly of course this comes about because of sounds in one language
>>> not existing in another and therefore the majority of the population
>>> _can't_ pronounce them properly.
>>
>> I'd consider this a completely unrelated effect.
>
> I disagree. Consider the Spanish dish Paella. How do you pronounce
> it?.

I personally pronounce it the Spanish way, pa-éllya.

> We almost universally say ``Pie-ella'' which is completely wrong, but
> the Spanish sound ``ll'' doesn't exist in English

Sure it does.  It's the sound in `million'.  Where did your Spanish
people come from?  It's the Welsh `ll' that's unpronounceable.

> and is extremely difficult to say correctly, so you end up with a
> totally different pronounciation in English.

The real problem with `paella' is that they don't pronounce it this
way in America.  It might be close in Mexico, but most Mexicans will
say `pa-éya' (missing out the ll altogether).  Further down, this
sound degenerates into a j (as the s in `pleasure').  In Argentina,
it's `pa-éja'.  Note that there's no significant change in the vowels
here.

Greg