Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 08:04:27 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Alexander Seth Jones <ajones@ctron.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using floating point arithmetic inside a device driver

>  I'm writing a device driver which needs to do some floating point
>calculations, but when the floating point code executes the kernel traps
>with number 22 "FPU device not available".  I'm have an AMD 486DX4-120.
>I'm not concerned with portability at this time (ie running on SX's).
>  Would someone care to explain what's going on?

Do you have the npx (numeric processor exception?) device configured
into your kernel?  You'll need it for floating point.  This is NetBSD
config syntax, but FreeBSD should be pretty similar:

# Math coprocessor/emulation support:
npx0    at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13        # math coprocessor

(If you already have this, then I don't have an answer...)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.