Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 15:26:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Wade <mwade@cdc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting and Corruption Rehashed

In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.10004041700160.22626-100000@server2> Mike Wade writes:
: > We've had similar corruptions on DiskOnChip w/o the ro -> rw -> ro
: > junk :-(.
:
: Interesting...  Any idea if it was software or hardware related?  Any
: details?  How are you protecting yourself from corruption? =)

We don't know.  There were some bad chips a while ago that has been
corrected.  We don't know if these chips were just bad, or if there
was a software problem.

As for what we're doing to protect ourselves...  We're migrating to
using a CF <-> IDE adapter that we're building ourselves.  Even doing
this, we have a cost advantage over DOC given that the DOC prices
haven't been falling at the same rate as CF has.

: be able to update the flash for configuration data.  Currently I have a
: separate partition on flash for RW...

That's what we do too.  We have two partitions to make sure that we
can switch over to the other one if we wear out the first partition.

Warner