Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:42:47 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several documentation questioons (all short)

On 1998-12-25 01:45:47 -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> 1) Is there a reason why there can't be gzipped versions of the handbook
> offered in addition to the non-gzipped ones?

No - except lack of time of the FreeBSD developers.

> 	I saved 15% on the PDF version and XX% on the .ps version
>
> 2) Why is the PDF version on the FTP site but not linked to the webpage, and
> the PS version isn't on the FTP site (at least, not where the PDF version
> is).

The PDF version is for windows users which does not have postscript
readers and gzip archiver. It should not be gzip'ed.

> 3) The webpage says the handbook is for 2.2.8, but the handbook says it is
> for 2.2.6 -- which is the most up-to-date version of the handbook --
> html/ascii/ps/pdf ?

The html, asci and ps versions are updated daily at the
Web server www.freebsd.org

The pdf version at the FTP server will be randomly
updated by hand every quarter or so ...

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://freebsd.org/~w/