Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:24:39 +0200
From:      Frank v Waveren <fvw@var.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   securing the bootup sequence

I'm trying to secure the bootup sequence of a 4.3-release install.
With a linux install (the box's previous install) this is quite easy,
just set the bios to disallow boot from floppy, and give lilo the
password= and 'restricted' options. With that configuration, there is
no way to get access to an account on the box without physically
opening it.

However, trying to do this with FreeBSD proves a lot harder. Since I
have two IDE drives, boot0 gives the F? list of drives, from which you
can select the drive without the kernel on it, which can bring the
boot process to a halt, which isn't nice, but isn't terrible either.

boot2 is a lot more annoying however. Even if it doesn't show it's
prompt by default, pressing space when you get the first '-' will
bring up the prompt. From here, you can load an arbitrary replacement
for /boot/loader, either previously stored in a users homedir or from
floppy. I can't find any way short of hacking the code of stopping
boot2 from doing this.

The next part of the entertainment is /boot/loader. According to all
the docu, having a set password=foo and check-password in
/boot/loader.rc should get you a password prompt if you do anything
apart from allowing the autoboot to continue. However, the password
prompt doesn't appear for me, whatever I tried.. :-(.

I have found one discussion from a while back on this topic on
deja.com, however I didn't find any useful answers apart from "there's
no such thing as security if the attacker has physical access", but
I'm not trying to protect against physical access here, just console
access.

TIA!

--
Frank v Waveren                                      Fingerprint: 0EDB 8787
fvw@[var.cx|dse.nl|stack.nl|chello.nl] ICQ#10074100     09B9 6EF5 6425 B855