Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:22:01 -0400
From:      Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists@bsdunix.ch>
To:        Kazi A. Sharif <kazi.sharif@aonb.com.bd>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW+Dummynet Capability

Hello

Am 20.07.2008 um 01:06 schrieb Kazi A. Sharif:
> Hello Guys,
> I was planning to install a heavy duty bandwidth manager for my ISP.
> I went through some documentation and installed IPFW and Dummynet in
> FreeBSD 7.0. Before I spent so much time on this I need to know the
> limitations that are already noticed:
>
> 1. If we compare IPFW+Dummynet with Allot or Emerging Technologies
> Bandwidth manager, how efficient is the IPFW+Dummynet?
> 2. Is it possible to control/throttle 800/900Mbps bandwidth using
> recommended hardware?

We use something similiar to make sure that certain ip ranges always
get the best performance. Simulating some kind of QoS and set a max
bandwidth for everything.

We figured out that the limit with this Xeon is somewhere between
200-300Mbps with a few IPFW+Dummynet rules. We also tested a slower
quad cores but the performance was even worse. UP systems with fast
CPU where the best choice so far for us. At the moment our system runs
with 6.2 but to be honest i don't belive that the performance gets
trippled with FreeBSD 7.

Our hardware:
Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz (3199.10-MHz 686-class CPU) and intel em
cards (<Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection Version - 6.2.9).

In the past Ian Freislich mentioned at performance@  that AMD Opterons
are maybe faster because of the bigger L1 cache. You will get less
cache misses with it.

We could squeeze a bit more speed with ipfw table keyword. In
gerneral, the less rule you have the better performance you will get.

There is also an dummynet issue with FreeBSD 7.0. We just used
dummynet to limit a ftp server to 500Mpbs and had a lot of kernel
panics.  Oleg Bulyzhin wrote a patch:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?prp=113548-3-diff

As far as i know this patch is not included in 7.0-Release and i'm not
sure if it was ever commited to -stable or -head.

Regards,
Thomas Vogt