Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:58:49 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Kaya Saman <kayasaman@optiplex-networks.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project

On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 17:34 +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:
> On 3/18/19 4:07 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 15:56 +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:
> > > Many thanks Michael!
> > >

> > > I have also found this guide too:
> > > https://www.rototron.info/lcdproc-tutorial-for-raspberry-pi/
> > >

> > > It goes through the GPIO connection using a Raspberry Pi and a CF
> > > HD44780 compatible display. This should also work in a similar
> > > fashion
> > > with the Odroid.
> > >

> > Before you go too far down this path, you should probably be aware
> > that
> > odroid isn't really supported on freebsd.  There was some initial
> > work
> > done to support the original C1, but it was basically a drive-by
> > commit
> > which hasn't been actively supported since then.
> >
> > You should consider some well-supported board, something based on
> > an
> > Allwinner or imx6 SOC would be a good candidate.
> >
> > Gpio sounds like about the worst way to connect a
> > display.  Something
> > based on i2c or SPI would be a much better choice.  Usually the so-
> > called "usb" solutions are really just forms of i2c or SPI being
> > bit-
> > banged by an FTDI chip.  Not a horrible solution, but probably not
> > quite as efficient as native i2c or spi.
> >
> > -- Ian
> >

> That was great advise! Thanks Ian :-)
>

> Looking at the FreeBSD support for these types of boards, it seems
> the
> most common devices are either the Raspberry Pi family and the
> Beagleboard Black and Green.
>

> It looks like both Raspberry Pi 2B and the Beaglebone Black have
> good
> support with FreeBSD and both offer SPI headers. I am not sure about
> the
> state of the Pi3 as the information comes up with unknown.
>

> I'm just reading through the wiki page for the BB Black:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBoneBlack right now trying
> get a better understanding of things in general. It might be a good
> option as it sounds fairly easy to deploy FBSD on it.
>

> Regards,
>

> Kaya

I would never recommend that anybody use any flavor of rpi for any
purpose at all.  The hardware sucks, and the support is minimal,
because all of us developers hate working on it (because it sucks so
much).

The BB isn't too bad, it's just ancient and crippled -- single core at
low clock speeds.

Really, an Allwinnner-based board is your best bet.  I'll let the
various users and supporters of the AW stuff recommend specific models
(I don't have any AW hardware, I have all I can do supporting imx6
these days).

The stuff you'll find on the wiki is mostly ancient news that hasn't
been updated in years.

-- Ian