Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 98 15:46:38 PST
From:      David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Alpha

> Sometimes you have to make decisions based more on marketing reality
> than the pursuit of warm technical fuzzies, and I daresay there was
> much wailing and gnashing of teeth there at Sequent when you guys
> ditched the far more elegant NS32532 architecture in favor of the x86.
> Gosh, it almost makes it sound as if Sequent is in bed with Intel now
> or something! :-)

I'm not speaking for Sequent, or visa-versa.

I wasn't at Sequent when they switched from ns32k to x86.
(I was at Tek doing ns32k workstations.)

I suspect that many of the engineers were/are unhappy.

100% of Sequent's founders came from Intel.

The 386 wasn't out yet when Sequent started.

> It's not so much where ALPHA is now that worries me, it's where it
> will be in 3-5 years.

Ever hear of a self-fullfilling prophesy?

> No, it only says that *some* free software is ready for prime time in
> a *certain* scenario.

I didn't mean to imply that all free software was ready for
all serious applications.

-Dave