Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 19:36:26 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        k4ef0098@kiss.uni-lj.si, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD into a logical partition

James Raynard wrote in message ID
<199607081232.MAA01150@jraynard.demon.co.uk>:
> No, FreeBSD requires its own ``primary partition'' (to use the DOS
> terminology). I don't know of any work being done that would allow
> what you want, but you have the source... :-)

Even if it was possible, you have the interesting problem that I don't
think our boot code will allow you to boot from a non-primary
partition (infact I'm fairly certain it won't), and the boot sector is
pretty full with the current code as it is. This sort of effort will
have to wait for the fabled 3 stage boot process I think.

(Of course, using fbsdboot is a cheat, and may work, if you hack it up
 a bit, but it has it's own problems).

Gary