Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        MrPtatoHed@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupid question

This isn't exactly FreeBSD related, but it's easy.

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 MrPtatoHed@aol.com wrote:

> if this a place to get help then please help!  what do i do when a computer
> says "missing operatiing system" when it starts up??  i reinstalled msdos 6.2
> and it doesnt work.  any suggestions greatly appreciated

It means the BIOS couldn't find an operating system installed on your hard
drive to boot, or the selected partition didn't exist.

To fix, boot a DOS boot floppy with fdisk on it (the first DOS install
floppy does, I think) and run fdisk /mbr to reset the MBR, then fdisk
again and select the desired partition.