Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:35:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        (Steven Grady) <grady@xcf.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can we switch to a higher-level audio interface?

On 02-Nov-98 Steven Grady wrote:
>  Sorry to reply to my own e-mail, but in thinking about things some more,
>  I had a couple additions to the list of approaches.  So v0.2 version:
Hmm..
I wonder if its possible to do something like the moused program, execept in
reverse.

What I mean is the /dev/{audio,dsp,...}0 become a special device which just
feeds its input (ie audio from programs) to a userland demon (yeah, wow, no
real time, but I don't think thats much of a problem), which does the mixing
and plays the sound back to the 'real' audio device.

This would have to have special hooks to cope with ioctl's etc. which I'm not
sure is feasable..

Also new clients could use an audio library which talks directly to the sound
demon.

This would have the advantages of being both backwards compatible and removing
the exclusivity of sound apps...

Of course you could probably take an existing sound demon (NAS, esound, etc..)
and add this functionality to it which would probably be easier :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum