Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 17:44:22 -0300
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   validating users.

I am writing a program that uses a file to authenticate its own users.

This file format is (only de necessary fields)

userid:type-of-account:passwd:

How does is work? It's simple:

When some one try to logg into our system, the software scans the user
in such a file.
There is two kinds of account:

	1)	sys  (to be mapped into system account, /etc/passwd, NIS, etc)
	2)      lcl  (the account is within the software, this type requires
the third field to be used)

for instance:

grios:sys::
guest:lcl:$1$dfsfsdf$#2345##$:

When user grios tries to get into the system it's password would be test
against the system account. This means that there must be system account
for grios, be in /etc/passwd or in NIS/NIS+.
But the user guest have its account within the own software, what would
not require a system passwd.

I would like to know how can i implement such a authentication. Of
course i know how to decide if an account is mapped or not to a system
one (it's easy, just reading the file). My questions is: once i know
it's an account mapped to system one, how to authenticate the income
user?

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.