Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:10:30 +0100
From:      cpghost@cordula.ws
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Christian Tischler <mail@myunix.net>
Subject:   Re: HDD idle shutdown.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:22:29PM +0100, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> * cpghost@cordula.ws [2005-03-18 11:24 +0100]
> >  On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:21:17AM +0100, Christian Tischler wrote:
> >  > I wondered whether there is an option to shut down an idle HDD until it
> >  > is needed again?
> >  > I am using FreeBSD 5.x.
> >
> >  /usr/ports/sysutils/ataidle
>
> Note that, while this indeed will spin down your hdd, the system will most
> likely spin it up again after a short period of time, unless you modify
> some settings. Especially the cron system may cause your hdd to spin up
> every once in a while.

Yes, that's true. Watch out for activity in /var/log etc.
I'm using ataidle on "diskless" workstations with attached
hdd (now if that's not an oxymoron!). Most activities happen
on the NFS mounted system partitions, and the hdd is only there
for backup purposes and for file systems that are not always in
use (like /home and so). Running ataidle on such workstations
proves to be very effective.

> Svein Halvor

-cpghost.

--