Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:56:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screen not restored on exit of (less|more|vi|.*)

> say 'less foo' (or vi foo, or ...)
>
>   o quit less on bsdi and the screen is restored.  i.e., you see
>
>     foo% more iddd.patch
>     foo%
>
>     i.e. all the remnants of less's output are gone, and the screen is
>     restored exactly as it was before the command ran, with a new prompt
>     right below the one that issued the command, even if it is mid-screen.
>
>   o after running less on freebsd the screen is not restored.  i.e. the
>     remnants of less fill the screen with the new prompt on the bottom
>     line of the xterm, and the previous prompt and screen obliterated.
>
> i prefer the former behavior, but do not understand how to cause the
> freebsd system to adopt it.

And I prefer the later.  I find it extremely useful to be able to keep
the last screenful viewed in the scrollable history area while entering
new commands.  Or to suspend emacs for long enough to issue a few commands,
and still see the text I was editing.

PLEASE don't force your preference on the rest of us.  If you don't
want to lose the previous commands, make an alias or function for
more, less, etc. that emits a suitable number of linefeeds before
invoking the real thing.

-Pat