Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 22:49:28 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        eivind@yes.no, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

>However, as long as the issue is only the size of the partitions, I
>think there are better ways of solving this - e.g, a compressing
>variant of the vn device.  This would let regression testing run on
>any box, instead of having to throw away 20GB of diskspace.  (There
>were also some hints about more issues in one of Tom's messages).

Or the standard variant of the vn devices.  It already compresses
never-written-to blocks to 4 bytes each.  I have tested files of size
16TB-1 and filesystems of size 1TB-512 on vn devices.  A 1TB file system
with 33 cylinder groups of size 31GB each took only 78 seconds to newfs
and 70 seconds to fsck (when it was empty :-).

Bruce