Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:47:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using dd to copy a DOS partition

> Somebody at an Open Source OS install fest suggested that I could copy an
> entire DOS partition to a file on a remote a UNIX file system by using dd.
>
> dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/mnt/backups/windows/filename.iso
> 1644993+0 records in

It works! This seems to be a viable drive to drive backup method.

I tried a safer version of the above experiment using a smaller logical
partition on another machine, filling it with copies of real data and
executables.

# dd if=/dev/ads05 of=/usr/backups/nt_d.backup

I then rebooted into NT, deleted the contents of the D:\ drive, rebooted
into FreeBSD and did:

# dd if=/usr/backups/nt_d.backup of=/dev/ads05

and rebooted into NT. My D:\ drive was there as if it had never been
deleted.