Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:32:35 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Robert Marella <rmarella@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh delays 40 seconds

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 03:25:08PM -1000, Robert Marella wrote:
> Robert Huff wrote:
> >Richard J. Valenta writes:
> >

> >>I had this problem in the past, and it was due to DNS problems where my
> >>IP from the client machine was unable to be resolved... but I think it
> >>took longer than 40 seconds.  I mentioned this in this list before, a
> >>search of the list may help.
> >

> >	Affirmed for the general case.  "30 second delay, then normal
> >network activity" _screams_ DNS misconfiguration, usually but not
> >always in the client side.
> >

> >			Robert Huff
>
> Forgive me if I am dense. According to the readout of "ssh -vvv gateway"
> the connection is made immediately. Does that not indicate that it knew
> where to go?

It's not the forward case that's the problem. The sshd daemon on the
server side attempts to find out where the connection is from by doing
a reverse-lookup. If the incoming IP hasn't got a DNS entry, the failing
DNS ip-lookup will time out in ~30s.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
                "I don't want to achive immortality through my works..